The concept of jobs to be done(JTBD) provides a lens through which we can understand value creation. The term was made popular by business leader Clayton Christensen in The Innovator’s Solution, the follow-up to his landmark book The Innovator’s Dilemma.
It’s a straightforward principle: people “hire” products and services to get a job done. Although companies like Strategyn and The Rewired Group have been using the JTBD for many years, the approach has gotten a lot of attention recently. Still, practical ways to applying the concept of JTBD in real-world settings is largely missing.
This workshop is designed to give you concrete, practical skills use can use to apply JTBD to create high-value products and services. We’ll work in groups to get hands-on experience and have lively conversations.
Here’s what we’ll cover:
- Brief background on core concepts of JTBD
- Using JTBD to structure user research and find opportunities
- How to apply JTBD to product design and development
- Extended uses of JTBD
After this session you’ll be able to:
- Understand core concepts of JTBD
- Apply JTBD to current projects and efforts at work
- Extend the ways in which you view customers
This session is geared for advanced designers and strategists looking to further understand the concept of JTBD and being able to work with the approach in a practical way.